How does Workers’ Compensation help workers?
In Australia, most workers are covered by a workers’ compensation scheme. If you are injured or become ill at, or because of work, you have the right to make a workers’ compensation claim.
How workers’ compensation can help you:
- Workers’ compensation is a workplace right. It is designed to ensure you are not unfairly disadvantaged if you become injured or ill because of work.
- Workers’ compensation is a form of insurance. Where a claim is accepted, you may be provided with financial support and/or other benefits to reduce the cost and stress associated with workplace injury or illness.
- Depending on your injury or illness, the workers’ compensation schemes may:
- cover some of your wages while you recover away from work
- cover medical and hospital costs, as well as other rehabilitation treatments
- pay a lump sum if you receive a permanent impairment, or
- pay a lump sum to your family if you are tragically killed at work.
Benefits of workers’ compensation:
- Workers’ compensation provides you with financial support so that you can focus on your recovery.
- Workers’ compensation allows you to get the right treatment at the right time, without having to worry about treatment costs.
- The workers’ compensation process may provide a range of other types of support such as education and training, domestic assistance and access to networks of medical specialists and rehabilitation providers.
- Return to work plans ensure you, your employer and your rehabilitation provider work together to support for your safe, durable and timely return to work.
An important part of the online safety induction and employee & contractor management process within the Worx Safety Management System is a dedicated portal to provide a current Workers Compensation policy number and uploading of policy document to assist in ensuring all workers are covered and to allow the Worx system to send automated emails as policies near their expiry dates.
* Article sourced from Safe Work Australia
If you would like further information or have questions about workers’ compensation, whether you are covered or when you can claim, contact the workers’ compensation authority in your state or territory at https://www.safeworkaustralia.gov.au/workers-compensation.